If you’ve ever known someone who found their calling, you may be wondering how they did it. It’s true that if you love your job, you’ll never work a day in your life. But how do you figure out what you were meant to do? Luck has something to do with it, but there are some steps you can take to figure out what kind of work will fulfill you.
Questions to Ask Yourself
There are some questions you should ask yourself when you’re trying to figure out what kind of work is a good fit.
● Where was your last job and why did you leave?
● What were your favorite classes in school?
● What are your hobbies and why do you enjoy them?
● What was the most enjoyable job you’ve ever had?
● What was your best day at work and what made it the best day?
● If money wasn’t a factor, what kind of work would you want to do?
Breaking it Down
After you’ve thought about it and have some general ideas about the basics of what would make you happy, there are some ways to work toward finding a job that suits your needs.
● What are your talents? Is there anything that just comes naturally to you? Take a good hard look at your skills and figure out how you can apply them in the workplace.
● Figure out what kind of work environment you are searching for. Would you like to work for a big corporation where there is room for advancement and a lot of benefits? Or would you prefer a small startup or mom & pop type operation?
● Decide what specific things you need in a job. This doesn’t mean a title or an office or even a job description. Think more along the lines of what skills you need to use, if you like working alone or with a group, etc.
● Research. It’s a great idea to talk to people in the field you’re interested to find out what it’s really like. That way, you’ll find out all the pros and cons and the things you never really thought of. Plus, you might find someone willing to give you a tip about a job opening or possibly a job reference.
● When you find something that sparks your interest enough to apply for the job, figure out the best way to present yourself. You should be able to convey your passion and drive for the job when in an interview.
You Don’t Have to Go at It Alone
approach an agency to help you find a position that fits the description of what you’re looking for. It’s possible that they have an in somewhere or know of something that could help you. No matter what route you decide, don’t give up! It is possible to love what you do. Sometimes, though, finding it takes a lot more than luck.